In my effort to build up a few more flower paintings I decided to have a go at the gladioli I planted in one of my flower borders . There may be a bit too much red, but I was trying to get a hot border with lots of reds and oranges so this looks like a military parade.
It’s not that I’ve been idle of late. I actually have two paintings on the go and painted a birthday card as well, but all I have to show is todays painting from the life session -very similar to the last one but the sex is different in case you hadn’t noticed..
Well, back to the Liver Sketching Club last Saturday. They have a great studio on the seventh floor with a window the full length of one wall. This allows for great tonal contrasts. Pity that the owner is selling to a developer and they will have to vacate shortly.
I don’t have much of a selection of paintings to show as I started on another version of the camellias, I put up the last time. Here is the result. I think that that is enough.
I had the good fortune to sell a floral painting the other day at an exhibition I am in but I felt I didnt have a good enough replacement, so I tried modifying a couple that I had with mixed results. In the end I put the phlox up on the wall. I may have another go at the camelias. It’s always the same when you are working up to the wire.
I have been doing a lot of walking as part of my recuperation from a hip operation. This means looking into gardens as I slowly pass by. On one occasion I saw a great view through a gate into a sunlit back garden and wondered whether I could make some kind of painting from it . I then realised I needed a point of interest for the view, but when I decided on a slumbering subject I realised that perhaps a fence and a gate didn’t make for a very interesting foreground. So I opened up the foreground and put some peonies and catnip there instead. So the painting bears absolutely no resemblance to what I saw – except perhaps a sunlit lawn – it has just been built up out of necessity. Well, it amuses me anyway.