Realising I need a few floral paintings to help support the upcoming demo I’m doing, when I spotted some images of cactus dahlias I had taken in the summer I thought that they might be a worthwhile challenge. Indeed they were. I used the same colours as for the Hellebores I did a few days ago. I do find shading yellow quite difficult, but it seems to have worked here. The colour of the dahlias is a lemon yellow which doesn’t pull it away from the foliage much and as I wanted to rise into a light source in the painting I started to lose tonal options in the top part though the subtle changes are growing on me.
Other floral paintings are available on my website: grahammcquadefineart.com