Regular readers may sense groundhog day, but this is a more finished version of an offering I produced a few weeks ago as part of a set of woodland scenes. As I scratch around for suitable work for a couple of upcoming exhibitions, there may be more of that set coming – so those of an unforgiving disposition should switch off now…
Another trial painting. Checking out what I can demonstrate. It certainly wont be this. Too much overpainting to get the darks. I have trimmed the painting above. It certainly needs more flower and less background and those Californian poppy leaves are a bugger to do – though I do love the contrasts from the white page to the deep mixes of indigo and the poppy petals create lovely swirls of colour. I’ll be back with another go at this.
Having been away for a few days wielding a paintbrush at my daughter’s house – though only on doors and other woodwork, as well as a multitude of other DIY tasks – I havent done much of the other painting.
Just before I left I did this trial for a demo which I need to give in October. It is of my bougainvillea which is flowering profusely in a pot. I think it needs a few tweaks but could be a candidate for a subject. Anyway, I offer it as a blog.
This painting follows on from the one on my previous blog, which was of a cafe just at the end of this street, off to the left. The sun was out on our visit last week, giving great contrasts. This view is with my back to the Catholic Cathedral, facing the looming tower of the Anglican Cathedral ahead. Hope Street connects the two.
I like this scene and have painted it before, but from a higher angle, up on the steps of the catholic cathedral. This one is at street level, capturing the full weight of presence of the Anglican cathedral; glowering at us sinners – well it was just one drink, honest, governor.
I’m not sure why I did this one. I came across the image from my trip to Thailand. And then I’m also not sure why I chose watercolour when pastel might have been better. I then sketched them out and I had them arranged like opposing apostrophes on a line. That left a lot of space at the top.
By arranging them on the diagonal I could make the dogs bigger and fill the space – more dog less mud. I also put some grass in at the top for visual relief.
Another challenge was the dappled shade on which I may have failed. Something to ponder during the long nights of winter.
I have been fighting with floral paintings recently and not getting very far. I need an image for an upcoming demo and fortunately I have a bit of time to come up with something. So, I just wanted a break – a different subject, to set the juices running – and following on from my last post ( which was itself a trial for another demo) I thought that I would return to feel good paintings – if nothing else but to make me feel good. This was a treat to paint this – mainly washes of luscious colours. First the sky, the sea and the beach then, when that was dry, the tree and bushes etc in one hit, mixing colours on the paper. Again, I let that dry before extending the dark area of shadows, people and paraphernalia dropping in bright colours into the shadow and leaving small gaps for the chinks of light. After that, all I needed to do was paint the two front figures and those in the distance, then add a bit of texture in the sand. It was done by lunchtime – my kind of painting – putting me in a happier frame of mind.
Incidently, the beach scene was from photos I took whilst painting the scene below which I posted in February. It was a beach in Thailand – great subjects where ever you looked. I then added the front figures from other sources.
I wanted to try a block approach for an upcoming demo and selected a subject of a couple sat in Green Park with Buckingham Palace and the crowds in the background. I set about transporting them over the hills and far away to somewhere more rustic. Call it a feel-good picture: a paean for the past summer. As I worked away at it it reminded me of those old railway posters they used to have. Maybe they could use it for HS2 if it ever restarts – I wouldnt charge them much…
I had a bit of time to play around with some forest scenes I had collected from recent visits to our local Ainsdale and Formby woods. On the top painting I did the colour mixing on the paper adding water to push colour away from the top right and then push and reinforce the dark mixtures on to the bottom right to get contrast and mystery.
This, above, was my first try. I like some of it, but feel that I need some colour contrasts to highlight the point of interest and break the monotony.
This got a bit obvious with streams of light, but has the area of interest I needed in the painting above. Again, with a few tweaks it could be worth another try. I think if I push the bottom area up into the `middle it might enliven it a little.