This was a painting of washes in three colours. One was the staining winsor blue, green shade, which sometimes has a mind of its own – so there was some trepidation as I applied the paint. I wanted the calm that a wash can, in my opinion, create.
Looking at this now I might give the man a bit more of his head, though he could have his collar up or be looking down and I did ponder footprints in the foreground but decided that the reflections might cover them up anyway, I think the calm lead-in is crucial.
Another previously attempted painting, but unlike the last post where I had messed around with the edges of some paintings, this one was started from scratch. Hopefully I have captured the luminosity which I felt the first version lacked and I have simplified the design as the last one was a little too busy.
These lillies, which grow in my back garden, were supposed to be red but as the years go by they take on a more orange hue. They also grow to be about six feet tall so you end up looking up at them and into the sun if it is getting low in the sky.
A reminder of summer as the frosts gather to clear away what remains.
With the exhibitions coming I have been looking at my stock and making adjustments. All these paintings have been shown before on this blog, albeit in their earlier form. These are updates.
This pastel view of Formby beach needed a bit of toning down in the mid ground.
In this watercolour I wanted to make the left hand figure more dynamic as he was originally looking like he was glued to the spot – not good in Liverpool traffic. Also the car needed a bit of reshaping
And in this acrylic of autumn on Clieves’ Hills near Ormskirk, I wanted to pull the foreground nearer and sharpen bits of the middle ground.
It’s getting a bit busy here with visitors and exhibitions. I did a group exhibition last weekend and there are three more coming up, the last one being a solo show. I have been tweeking a few of the paintings that have been up on this blog over the last few months in readiness for the shows and was considering reblogging those, but went instead with a couple of life studies from last week.
Today I have to do a floral demo a a club north of Blackpool, so I have also have been preparing for that. I will be demonstrating the geraniums painting I posted a few weeks ago.
Anyway, once I get everything prepared I can start to calm down.
This image is from the same walk I alluded to in my previous post. The light catching surfaces and the figure were too good to miss. It was a pity that the woman was in the shade. I debated moving her to the other seat, but I liked the way she was sat with her shoes just catching the light. Might be worth another version.
Whilst visiting my daughter we were walking along the river Chelmer – near Chelmsford in Essex – on a bright autumn day. I saw a swan bathed in sunlight and was hoping for it to open its wings as it preened itself. Unfortunately it was disturbed by a couple of fishermen, so for this painting I had to make something up, but I managed to capture the lighting effects against the darkness of the background which had first caught my eye.
I havent been doing so much life drawing recently. I feel I have lost my way a little and the unimaginative poses and lighting have contributed. I was going to do this pose as a fore-shortened view from the feet but was pretty uninspired by it. I wandered around the model and from this angle the interplay of light and shade made for a really interesting image.
The teal was out on this painting as well and with her orange hair and fingernails it didnt take much for the oranges to follow.
Last month I posted a painting of bougainvillea which I was going to use for a flower demo in a couple of weeks time. After my initial enthusiasm I became disenchanted with it, even after trying out a modified approach. In the end I gave up and did some forest paintings to calm my nerves.
I then saw some images of my perennial blue geraniums in morning light. I had originally shied away from this subject as a demo piece because of the big areas of darks. Anyway, I gave it a go and was surprised to find that it worked well. I could quickly get the required darks and build up the painting in a short time.
Here is the result. I think I could change the design slightly. I do love the buds and might include a few more next time.
Back in July last year I was sitting in a gallery, doing my stint; looking after the shop and trying to sell some paintings. It can be pretty slow around here, so I set up my easel and started painting the picture below. It was based on photos I had taken on a day walking in the Yorkshire Dales.
I used acrylics and square brushes and painted it during the day.
I was quite pleased with the result. I felt that the subject matter suited the style of painting. Unfortunately the punters dont agree. The painting stayed at my side, despite many attempts to shake it off. So the other day I decided to change the subject matter around and have the people walking towards me.
I just wanted some fun: a break, so I upped myself off to Camps Bay near Cape Town by gathering together some of my old photos and painting me a little time on the beach.
The yellow of the umbrella is just the base colour left untouched. I use yellow as a priming colour as I have a big tin of it that was on offer. I then blocked in the image with square brushes. I liked the shapes created by the two under the shade with a few sunlit edges creating hints as to the form – and then the colours of the umbrella…
Other beach scenes are available on my website: grahammcquadefineart.com