I had the good fortune to sell a floral painting the other day at an exhibition I am in but I felt I didnt have a good enough replacement, so I tried modifying a couple that I had with mixed results. In the end I put the phlox up on the wall. I may have another go at the camelias. It’s always the same when you are working up to the wire.
Other floral paintings are available for sale on my website: grahammcquadefineart.com
I did a small version of this as a card for a friend who isn’t very well. It came out surprisingly well. I had been reticent about tackling phlox as I found them rather fussy and the red/green colour scheme wasn’t my favourite. After the card I thought I might as well give it a go on a quarter-imperial sheet (around 26x36cm) and here it is.
I feel the card was better and the scaling up does make it feel a bit contrived and fussy. Still you’ve got to try these things. On the smaller version I was looser and here I got things a bit staid and detailed, although I just about managed to let go at the bottom. Maybe I might have another go later.
Other florals are available for sale on my website: grahammcquadefineart.com