I had a cull of some paintings recently and got out the grey undercoat and some left over emulsion and covered them over and took the toned sheets to a few life sessions. Here are the results. Each one took about an hour and a half, allowing for the tea breaks and socialising that goes on. The one above was mainly done with square brushes.
This one had a warmer background of my left over emulsion, again, mainly square brushes.
This was done mainly with a palette knife, accentuating the warm background with a cool palette
Meditating man, here I coated some of the surface in masking fluid to see what effect I got. I probably didn’t use enough.
Again more masking fluid used and again, not enough and again the use of square brushes.
I was thinking about entering the marine artists exhibition in London. I had a couple of suitable paintings but wanted something a little different so that I could judge what it is that they are looking for a bit better and worked up this idea. Now that it’s complete I’m a little underwhelmed by it. I have got tighter than I would have liked. I’ll prop it against the wall and have a look at it over the next week or so and make my mind up. I have used motifs that I have used as subjects before, in case you are wondering whether you’ve already seen it.
A bit of fun with a photo I took whilst having lunch in Venice and two guys sidled in to play some jazz. My idea of heaven, food, wine, sunshine and jazz. Perhaps this was how I saw them at the end of the session.
Two recent life paintings, one done yesterday. As you can see I have just purchased another can of water miscible grey undercoat. It does give a good medium/light tone to paint on and also means I can overpaint old paintings. It has a blue tinge which I must admit I am not fully exploiting on these sketches but in these sessions of just over an hour there isn’t too much thinking time, let alone anytime – but it’s always a challenge.
I like the water-miscible undercoat as you can take some along with you and use it to correct if need be or work into the painting, as in the second one, without causing solvent smells and being able to clean your brush easily.
Assembling the paintings for my landscape exhibition, which starts next week, I was including the painting below. It was an old painting I quite liked, but I wondered about the flat area in the middle and whether the images needed linking better. So I painted in a wind sculpted tree which spread across the centre touching the different areas.
Other landscapes are available for sale on my website.
Halfway through assembling my upcoming exhibition I thought that I would take a break and mess around with some acrylics. These are liquid acrylics and full bodied acrylics along with some fillers to give texture that doesn’t appear to be showing too well. Anyway a bit of colourful fun.
I felt I needed one more painting for my exhibition to complement the other mixed acrylic I did see below. So this one is the last – well for the exhibition at least.
In fact this one above is a further adaptation of the painting I originally posted which I felt was a bit garish, ( see below) but once you got those acrylics on there’s not much you can do.
So this one got gessoed over and I did the top painting on this and then repeated it in more muted colours on another canvas.
So that’s thirty one landscape paintings for the exhibition. I’m now sorting out the frames and tweaking a few of the paintings and we should be ready to go. I’m not holding out much hope on this exhibition, but this is the first time I’ve amassed this amount of paintings for one exhibition on a single topic, so it will be a good exercise if nothing else.
The exhibition is called ‘Between the Mersey and Ribble’ and is a set of paintings based on the area. The Mersey and the Ribble are two rivers which come out on the coast around here – you may have heard of one of them. It is on at the Martin Mere Wetland Centre for a month from 19th of this month.