Going into the new year I was fairly upbeat so I decided to have another go at my cactus dahlias – this is the third attempt for anyone who is counting. Being a diary I feel the good as well as the bad should get posted and this very definitely sinks into the second category. I suppose there are some good bits but you need to look hard though I am never downhearted by these issues as it is always a learning exercise… – not to try it for a fourth time.
The dahlias are out in my garden and I thought that I would have another go at some of the cactus dahlias. I have tried this same subject before on my blog. This time I think I got the fluffiness of the flower along with it’s intricacies, but I was hoping for a looser and more vibrant background, although I was trying to keep to a fairly tight colour range at the same time. I may burden you with this subject again. We’ll see.
Realising I need a few floral paintings to help support the upcoming demo I’m doing, when I spotted some images of cactus dahlias I had taken in the summer I thought that they might be a worthwhile challenge. Indeed they were. I used the same colours as for the Hellebores I did a few days ago. I do find shading yellow quite difficult, but it seems to have worked here. The colour of the dahlias is a lemon yellow which doesn’t pull it away from the foliage much and as I wanted to rise into a light source in the painting I started to lose tonal options in the top part though the subtle changes are growing on me.