Spring slowly moves towards summer and my rhododendrons’ buds start to unfold into blousy blooms. I tried this before, last week, but over-emphasised the colours and deadened the image. This version looks a bit weak, but the freshness is retained and the lefthand bloom captures the attention to my satisfaction.
I am still persisting and struggling with floral paintings. At present one of my borders is covered in Oriental Poppies, so I thought it was an opportune time to have a go at them. I also wanted to include the barbed leaves which can be a real feature when the light is right. I must admit it got a bit messy at the end on the left hand side, but I did manage to keep the initial washes on the flowers and some of the leaves on the right and am pleased with the result there.
Before this I had a less successful battle with my forsythia which is a real harbinger of spring here. I wanted the contrast against the clear sky. The mass of tiny flowers and leaves was a difficult ask, and in hindsight I think I need to blow up the small flowers even larger for the thing to work and not resemble a blobby mass.
So one out of two is an improvement on my endeavours of late. There may be some repeats coming this way if I start to find ways to resolve some of my issues. Only time will tell.
Another floral painting. I had some images of abubrieta hanging off the rocks over my pond in morning light. The flowers are small so I have blown them up and tried to get that mass of blooms that is typical of the plant in early summer.
Going into the new year I was fairly upbeat so I decided to have another go at my cactus dahlias – this is the third attempt for anyone who is counting. Being a diary I feel the good as well as the bad should get posted and this very definitely sinks into the second category. I suppose there are some good bits but you need to look hard though I am never downhearted by these issues as it is always a learning exercise… – not to try it for a fourth time.
The dahlias are out in my garden and I thought that I would have another go at some of the cactus dahlias. I have tried this same subject before on my blog. This time I think I got the fluffiness of the flower along with it’s intricacies, but I was hoping for a looser and more vibrant background, although I was trying to keep to a fairly tight colour range at the same time. I may burden you with this subject again. We’ll see.
I felt I needed some more flower paintings and in came spring and the apple blossom burst out on my trees. Now with the warm weather there looks like there’s going to be a lot of fruit.
Last year I planted a few allium bulbs in the garden. I was hoping for some cerulean blue flowers but got a purpler version. I need to go and search for some of the bluer kind, but even so, the evening light on the flowers made them look like they were exploding.
I reported some issues with paintings on my last two posts, so to take a break from the projects I was struggling with, I decided to splash some colour around and paint a few flowers, especially now that the garden is in full flood with the good weather we are having.
This is one of the rhododendron bushes that grow in my garden that I spotted in full flower and illuminated by the afternoon sun.