I have a number of hydrangeas in the garden but they are predominately pink despite adding buckets of aluminium salts to to turn them blue, the colour I prefer. Someone recently told me that the soil also needs to be acidic, so that may be my next approach, but the other day as I was crawling amongst the undergrowth I discovered I actually had a small blue hydrangea which I think was a gift from a visitor. So you got a painting. There may be more of these if I discover the trick of turning the rest blue.

Talking of more: here’s another attempt at my lush gladioli, the subject of the last post. There were a few issues with the first one, despite the overall effect of the main blooms that I was very satisfied with.

Other floral paintings are available for sale on my website:



Perhaps its the onset of winter that drove me to consider painting some more flowers. I have tried hydrangeas in the past without success and I must admit I was after a looser effect. In the end I am not too displeased with this rather tight depiction particularly with the way the colour of the flowers got dragged into the leaves. I might have another go with some phlox and try and break a few  more of those shackles.

Other floral paintings are on my website