So on with the second of my demonstration pieces for next week, which I mentioned in my previous blog. For this one the client wanted a floral painting so I selected this subject as I had already demonstrated it last year and it seemed to go well. It incorporates a big wash with a lot of colour mixing on the paper and good interplay of light and dark.
On my first attempt below I felt the arrangement of flowers was too tight and for the second one (top) I brought in some chromium yellow to the centre to help bring out the purple blues of the flowers.
So there is a lot apparently going on with a few washes and hopefully the interplay between light and dark sets a rhythm going.
Last month I posted a painting of bougainvillea which I was going to use for a flower demo in a couple of weeks time. After my initial enthusiasm I became disenchanted with it, even after trying out a modified approach. In the end I gave up and did some forest paintings to calm my nerves.
I then saw some images of my perennial blue geraniums in morning light. I had originally shied away from this subject as a demo piece because of the big areas of darks. Anyway, I gave it a go and was surprised to find that it worked well. I could quickly get the required darks and build up the painting in a short time.
Here is the result. I think I could change the design slightly. I do love the buds and might include a few more next time.