This image is from the same walk I alluded to in my previous post. The light catching surfaces and the figure were too good to miss. It was a pity that the woman was in the shade. I debated moving her to the other seat, but I liked the way she was sat with her shoes just catching the light. Might be worth another version.
I had been working on another version of Shasta daisies I published in May, but things went from bad to worse to unprintable. So last night I started sketching this and it seemed to tumble out. I posted a version of this done on site at the end of May, but the lighting wasnt what I wanted. To get this view – and with it the light – you need to get further back down the canal, so far that the subjects became just dots. So the telephoto lense came in handy here.
So spurred on by their encouragement here is another canal-side offering which could feature in my upcoming exhibition. I have done this scene before, but wasnt satisfied with the result. This time I washed in three primary colours onto wet paper and mixed them with water from a spray. You get some lovely misty colour mixes. When dry, I worked specific areas in a similar fashion but without the spray, gradually building up the colours by mixing them on the paper and also increasing the detail.
In the past I stuck to just 3 primary colours, mainly to get cohesion. I was a bit dissatisfied with the results. This time I added other colours in the later stages and I am much happier with the result.
I really like the ethereal early morning quality I have achieved here and may be putting this up next week.
I opened up the local paper today and there was a big spread put out by the venue advertising my exhibition. So just a little pressure.
The exhibition looms and I was unhappy with some of my canal scenes and decided to add a few more and make a decision from a wider field. This is another version of one I did plein air last May/June and posted. I really liked the light on the tarpaulin and the weeds growing around the boat.
I need thirty paintings for a show in a couple of weeks and started getting things together before I left for holiday. The exhibition is based on paintings of the area around where I live. Most are in a realist or naturalist style but I have one abstract work and although I have some expressionistic works I wanted another abstract to complement it. It then takes the viewer on both a topographic and a stylistic journey. On the plane home I had an idea for something reflecting the canal where I live and do a lot of my plein air painting.
This was the result and may get further tweaked in the next weeks. I did do a couple of pastel sketches, but felt that they were a little busy.
This was the first one and on the second I decided to kill some of the blue
I liked the idea of building up the complexity in the middle, but keeping the outsides open and airy and decided to emphasise that on my acrylic piece. Perhaps I have gone too far now. I will leave it alone and make a decision later.
As I worked on the acrylic piece I started to think of the Nile – a little distance from the Lancashire plain where I started out.
More paintings for the exhibition. I thought one of the canal might be worth a punt, so I need to chose between these two.
Though I may do a series of canal scenes for later in the year so I could always use the one left over, but – and here’s the good news – I will need a few more to make up a series. That’ll cheer the troll up if nothing else.
I wanted to continue with my local paintings but had nothing ready and being out of sorts with a persistent cough, I thought I’d take a break, have an easy time, and try this scene. I find these vertical extended paintings sell well. Perhaps they fill awkward spaces and this view, with a bit of juggling, seemed to fit a long format well. It also helps me in adding to the selection of canal scenes I am also working on for an exhibition later in the year. I liked the different layers of interest in this with the background landscape, the canal and narrowboats and then the dogwalker – who came in from another couple of photos.